How to Repair a Leaking Bathtub Stopper
A plug or suspended bathtub stopper is fixed or is the piston type. Both use a lever in front from the tub that operates the mechanism from the stopper. Repairing a leak on a suspended bath depends on the type of tub you have. A fixed plug has a circular ring that seals the drain, while the plunger type requires some cleaning and adjustment dial. Replacement pistons and rings are available in warehouse construction.
There are several types of stoppers and seals for bathtub drains. A push-down stopper is a kind of retractable stopper. You push the cork down to plug the drain and lift to open it. It is common for the bathtub stopper to stop working correctly, but once the drain is screwed into your bathtub, you can solve the problem on their own.
- Remove the two screws holding the lever in the bathtub with a Phillips screwdriver. Pull the lever out of the tub, bringing the connection and plunger through the waste drain.
- Inspect the piston looking for sediment and debris. Clean it with a brush dipped in white teeth and rinse with clean water vinegar.
- Hold the top link in one hand and turn it to the left in a counterclockwise direction; it lowers the plunger.
- Place the plunger and the link inside the drain waste until the lever is flush against the tub. Secure the front plate of the lever in the bathtub stopper with the fixing screws.
- Lift the lever to stop the drain with the plunger. Fill the tub with 5 cm of water to inspect the fit. If necessary, remove the link and adjust until there is no more leakage when filling the tub.
- Push the lever down completely; it pushes the fixed drain completely. Hold the drain on your fingers and pull it out of the drain. The oscillating link which connects the interior of the coil spring comes with the stopper.
- Unscrew the ring seal defective out of the bottom of the bathtub stopper and slide it over the connection.
- Slide a new sealing ring on the swinging link and place it in the slot below the stopper. Make sure that the ring does not balance when handling it into the slot.
- Place the link in the drain plug and the plug on it. May need to move the link so put the stopper in order to ensure that the mix moves into the coil spring inside the tube.